Thursday , May 13 2021

New European Super League implodes within 48 hours!

Less than 48 hours after the announcement of the creation of a European Super League, the new entity imploded with all six English Premier League clubs announcing by Tuesday night that they are withdrawing from the new entity and by Wednesday morning it became clear that without these clubs, the Spanish and Italian clubs could not go ahead with their plans.

Rumours surfaced on Tuesday evening that Chelsea FC could be pulling out around their Premier League home game against Brighton Hove & Albion, which was delayed due to due massive fan protests around Stamford Bridge.

Then it was Manchester City who on their social media and website announced as the first club their official pullout with a simple statement at 21.19h GMT: Manchester City Football Club can confirm that it has formally enacted the procedures to withdraw from the group developing plans for a European Super League.

It was followed at around 23.00h GMT where the four other Premier League clubs – Manchester United, Liverpool FC, Arsenal FC, Tottenham Hotspur – announced their pullout of the European Super League and posted individual statements on why they were pulling out of the Super League project.

Liverpool owner John W Henry apologises for European Super League involvement

As Chelsea FC had a Premier League game to play, their official statement came out at 01.04h GMT with this statement, “As reported earlier this evening, Chelsea Football Club can confirm that it has begun the formal procedures for withdrawal from the group developing plans for a European Super League.”

Having joined the group late last week, we have now had time to consider the matter fully and have decided that our continued participation in these plans would not be in the best interests of the Club, our supporters or the wider football community.

By then the European Super League was in tatters as without the six Premier League and the non-joining of Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund besides France’s Paris Saint-Germain at the start, the Super League was left with only the three Spanish LaLiga and three Italian Serie A clubs, a consortium of no value and overall clout.

But still the Super League came out with this official statement in the morning, “Despite the announced departure of the English clubs, forced to take such decisions due to the pressure put on them, we are convinced our proposal is fully aligned with European law and regulations as was demonstrated today by a court decision (in Spain) to protect the Super League from third-party actions.”

By early afternoon in Europe on Wednesday, Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan and their city rivals AC Milan also pulled out of the European Super League leaving formally only Real Madrid, FC Barcelona and Juventus FC left from the original 12 clubs at the time of writing this article.

The official message from AC Milan read, “We accepted the invitation to participate in the Super League project with the genuine intention to deliver the best possible European competition for football fans around the world and in the best interest of the club and our own fans.

“Change is not always easy, but evolution is necessary for progress, and the structures of European football have evolved and changed over the decades.

“However, the voices and the concerns of fans around the world have clearly been expressed about the Super League, and AC Milan must be sensitive to the voice of those who love this wonderful sport. We will continue to work hard to deliver a sustainable model for football.”

Juventus FC chairman Andrea Agnelli speaking to the media today said that the breakaway can no longer go ahead after six English clubs withdrew. Asked whether the project could still happen after the exits, Agnelli told Reuters, “To be frank and honest no, evidently that is not the case.”

Agnelli insisted he remained convinced that European football needed change and had no regrets about the way the breakaway attempt was made. “I remain convinced of the beauty of that project,” he said, stating it would have created the best competition in the world. “But admittedly… I mean, I don’t think that that project is now still up and running.”

The Guardian: Juventus chairman Agnelli admits European Super League cannot go ahead

About Press Release

Check Also

Ajax Amsterdam melts champions trophy to create 42,000 small champion stars for fans!

After an exceptional football year without supporters in the stadium, Ajax has decided to melt …