The Indian Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the Signing of Guarantees for hosting the 2022 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup in India.
2022 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup is scheduled to be held in India between October 11 to 30, 2022. The seventh edition of the biennial youth tournament will be the first-ever FIFA women’s competition to be hosted by India. Carrying on the positive legacy from the 2017 FIFA Under-17 Men’s World Cup, the nation is preparing for a seminal moment for women’s football when the best young female footballers from across the world will be showcasing their skills to lift the coveted trophy.
Financial outlay of Rs. 10 crore assistance to All India Football Federation (AIFF) for Field of play Maintenance, Stadium power, Energy & Cabling, Stadia & Training Site Branding etc. will be met from the budgetary allocation for the Scheme of Assistance to National Sports Federations (NSFs).
Objectives of the Scheme:
- The 2022 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup – India has potential to strengthen women’s football in the country.
- Carrying on the positive legacy from the 2017 FIFA Under 17 Men’s World Cup, the nation is preparing for a seminal moment for women’s football when the best young female footballers from across the world will be showcasing their skills to lift the coveted trophy. Following objectives have been contemplated in order to leave behind a positive legacy:
- increase representation of women in football leadership and decision-making bodies
- inspire more girls to play football in India
- advocate for gender-inclusive participation by normalising the concept of equal game from a young age
- opportunity to improve football standards for women in India
- improve the commercial value of the women’s game.
The FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup is a prestigious event and would be held for the first time in India. It would encourage more youngsters to participate in sports and help develop the sport of football in India. The event will not only promote football as sport of choice among Indian girls, but is also poised to leave a lasting legacy that will facilitate girls and women in the country to embrace football and sports in general.
The FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup is the world championship for female players under or upto the age of 17, organized by FIFA. The event started in 2008 and is traditionally held in even-numbered years. The sixth edition of the event was held in Uruguay from November 13 to December 1, 2018. Spain is the current champion of FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup.
2022 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup – India will be the seventh edition of the tournament in which 16 teams, including India, will participate. The AIFF has proposed holding of the competition matches in three venues namely; (a) Bhubaneshwar; (b) Navi Mumbai and (c) Goa.
India successfully hosted the 2017 FIFA Under-17 Men’s World Cup – India at six different venues namely New Delhi, Guwahati, Mumbai, Goa, Kochi and Kolkata in the country from October 6 to 28, 2017.